Sunday, April 17, 2011

Looong Weekend

The picture above is what my shift felt like on Saturday!!
Long work hours at during the weekend definitely make the weekends go by faster (like I needed help with that). This weekend I spent a total of 23 hours on the clock. 10 and half alone on Saturday. I think my tables could sense some fatigue setting in around the end of my shift on Sunday.

Overall it was a good weekend money wise. People seemed to be in good spirits and happy to be out to eat. That always helps work go by faster. Being able to have an engaging conversation with guests I think helps me to be a better server. Sometimes I need to be careful that I'm not spending too much time with a single table and make sure I pay attention to them all. Having a friendly conversation with your server, as opposed to just giving orders, makes their time and more than likely yours as a customer more worthwhile.

Body language when I first show up to a table usually signals me on how to treat them. Its kind of comical when you approach a table and can tell there is some tension in the air (usually siblings or middle aged couples). Being open to conversation will usually help you out to be able to effectively communicate to your server what you want. I guess the number one excuse I could give to a customer is to lighten up and your dining experience will be more enjoyable for yourself and your server.

1 comment:

  1. Is it true that if a server puts his/her hand on the back of the customer's chair, or if he/she bends down a bit toward the customer, that he/she will get a bigger tip? I heard that somewhere.

    Sounds like you had a crazy weekend. Glad customers were generous with tips.

    I like the new photo on the blog.

    ReplyDelete