Friday, April 8, 2011

An End to Servers!?


I was shocked when one of my friends said that automated servers existed. I had to go online and find for myself if one actually existed. There were many different examples of restaurants that had made the switch to computers serving customers.


I don't really know what to think about robots as being servers. I'm not really surprised at the idea considering these days everything gets changed to a computerized or more efficient version. Thinking of all the running around I do especially on busy nights; I'm sure the robots could serve a lot more efficiently than I could.


I am skeptical if this could ever actually work. Guests are always going to want to complain or have some sort of interaction with staff at the restaurant. Also refills of drinks or any other condiments would have to be taken into account. Also boxing up food could be an issue. As the world continues to find new technology you can expect this to become more and more popular!


Here is another example from Asia:

1 comment:

  1. Most people like interacting with the server a bit--a server can add a sense of relaxation to a meal, or formality, if it's that kind of restaurant.

    But wouldn't you rather have a robot take the guff from grumpy customers . . ?

    ReplyDelete